Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Life of an Item with Cowboybunny


My name is Jenny Dubish and I am the creator of the etsy shop “Cowboybunny.” I am quite happy when I am creating something. I enjoy every step of the creative process. This is the journey of one of my items called “Illustrated Dreams.”

My idea is where I begin. Where do I find these ideas? As the mother of three little ones, just a spark from their imaginations can bring a flood of ideas. Once I have developed an idea, it becomes a sketch. I begin by drawing out my ideas and transforming them into a solid picture.


The concept for my piece is then carefully transferred from paper to fabric. Delivering the art to fabric is key . There are several tools I use that are very important to the process. Carbon paper is a tool that I discovered several years ago in embroidery that makes the process quite enjoyable. I carefully tape carbon paper to the fabric and then tape my picture to the layered fabric and carbon paper. The next tool I can’t live without is called a stylus. A stylus helps get nice and neat lines for a clean transfer.


After the transfer process, I am now ready to embroider. The tools I use for the next step are an embroidery needle, embroidery floss, an embroidery hoop, and the fabric I transferred to. I love to use a sturdy muslin fabric. I have also found that wooden hoops hold the fabric securely and this is the type I always use for my pieces. Now here comes the fun part.


The next step in finishing “Illustrated Dreams” is the balloons. They don’t just appear magically. I carefully cut the pieces out of red felt and sew them together using a sewing machine. The fine details such as the gathered bottom of the balloons and the patches are all hand sewn and then they are stuffed. Once the balloons are created they are carefully sewn to the embroidered picture.

Finally I do the finishing touches that make the piece ready for the customer. I hand paint each hoop to accent the artwork. Once the paint is dry, I carefully tighten the hoop so that the fabric is stretched for display and then glue the fabric to stay in place.

The possibilities are endless with one’s imagination. I hope I can continue to create and share my imagination for many years to come.

5 comments:

  1. How fun! Loved the video too! It's interesting to see how your work comes to be. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post - loved the video and your shop is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much everyone for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was really neat. I loved the time lapse video! Great shop!

    ReplyDelete