Friday, March 19, 2010

Feature Friday, Zidisha of zidishaluxe


1) Tell us about yourself, your shop and what brought you to the Etsy community.
My name is Zidisha Dambuza, I'm 17 years old and I absolutely love to
create clothing. Basically, the start of my shop just began with me
being really interested in having clothes that were different from
everyone else. When I realized the only real gaurantee for that was to
make my own, I got a sewing machine, taught myself, and began making
my own clothes. I started getting a lot of interest from my friends,
and began making things for them as well. When I came across Etsy (and
fell in love) I decided I wanted to open my own shop, and took the
plunge after about a year of just being a buyer. Etsy just seemed like
the perfect environment for my endeavor and I'm really glad to have
joined a community of such excellent crafters and wonderful people.
2) Walk us through a typical day in your life.
3:00/4:00 am - 6:30 am : Wake up to finish homework/orders
6:30 am - 7:15 am : Get ready for school/Breakfast with dad
7:40 am - 2:40 pm : School
3:00 pm - 5:30 pm : Little Shop of Horrors Rehersal
6:00 pm - 9:00/10:00 pm : Schoolwork, Sewing, and Dinner
Sleep! Then repeat.

3) Name your top 3:
-Books: Watchmen, To Kill a Mockingbird, A Million Little Pieces

-Music: Spoon, Regina Spektor, M.I.A.

TV shows: That 70's Show, Bones, anything on History/National Geographic

-Movies: Zoolander, 10 Things I Hate About You, The Men Who Stare at Goats

-Websites: Etsy, Chictopia, Twitter
4) Where do you hope your shop will be in 1 year?
I hope that I will be expanding my shop into a few boutiques and that
I can also grow my online presence. I'd like to be making continuous
sales (I've got college to pay for next year!) and I would also really
like to start getting involved in craft fairs and other local events
of that nature.

5) What is one of your favorite shops on Etsy?
One of my favorite shops on Etsy is definitely
ruffeoheartslilsnoty.etsy.com. They're just such a fun and unique
clothing company and they've really inspired me to inject more
personality into my own. All of their pieces are so unique and their
descriptions can't be read without a smile. I absolutely love them.
6) What projects are you currently working on?
As far as new clothes, I've got a bunch of new style ideas and have
picked up tons of fantastic fabrics for them! I really want to push
myself design-wise to create things totally out of my comfort zone.
I'm just really trying to grow in my abilities. I'm also currently
working with a shop in Ohio to get my clothes in their shop. I'm very
excited about it, as this is my first time working with a brick and
mortar shop. I've been working to improve and better my business, so
I'm really glad that that work appears like it's paying off.
7) If you could have 1 super power, what would it be and why?
I would love to be able to freeze/slow down time. Sometimes there's
not enough, and sometimes you're in this perfect moment that you wish
could last longer. Either way, I think that would be a fantastic power
to possess.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Really? At 17 I think I was worried about whether or not my socks matched, not starting my own business. Good for you, Zidisha! I'm expecting big things from you. :)
    GlassAli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome article. Good luck with your shop Zidisha, I hope it's succeeds and is able to put you through college!

    ReplyDelete